~Simple dresser facelift~

        I am slowly working on re-doing or improving my childrens' bedrooms without spending too much. I have been re-painting furniture they have and trying to source a few pieces on Craigslist. So far I bought a great desk for one daughter's room. I am going to re-paint it and add a touch of glam by replacing the utilitarian handle with a crystal one I spotted at the local hardware store. I have yet to take "before" pictures.
     What I did manage to do this week in between the rain showers was touch up the other daughter's (henceforth named D) dresser. I am slowly working on her room. Her dressser was black already but after taking a trip in the moving van all the way from the east coast to the west it took a beating. 


Here is the before

     I re-painted it with a softer black, Black Beauty (you guessed it - my favourite paint store -Benjamin Moore!) To jazz it up a bit and add a bit of teenage glam I created a damask stencil from some fabric I had laying around. I then used my exacto knife to cut it out. 



    I laid the stencil across the drawer fronts and using a roller and white craft paint, I rolled paint over the stencil. I didn't like the way it turned out, the edges weren't crisp. I guess card stock doesn't cut it for a stencil. I then hand painted it all in to give it more depth and a hand painted look. After I painted a coat of Poly to give the white paint a bit of sheen.
     I have yet to "finish" her room (are you ever finished when decorating a house?). I am trying to find her a desk and some hot pink paper lanterns to add to the white ones we have hanging. Not to mention - it is always a mess (busy teenager)!


Ta-da!

Oh - and the lampshade is a basic white Ikea lampshade that I simply hot glued a dollar store feather boa along the bottom edge!

Ooh-la-la!


I will be linking to:
Between Naps on the Porch


and
 DIY Day aA Soft Place to Land
and 
Thrift Decor Chick's

and
Today's Creative Blog

and
The Shabby Chic Cottage's

**edited December 19th: visiting Miss Mustard Seed's Furniture Feature Friday
***edited April 30: visiting SNS @ Funky Junk

16 comments

  1. Wow, that is an amazing transformation. My daughter would love that in her room but I haven't got an artistic bone in my body!
    Best wishes and happy blogging, NM.
    PS I am a new follower. Please come see my kitchen renovation-
    http://5minutesjustforme.blogspot.com/2009/11/metamorphosis-monday-window-treatments.html

    ReplyDelete
  2. Love that boa on the lamp shade!

    ReplyDelete
  3. What a neat idea, I love the flourish design!

    ReplyDelete
  4. A million-dollar makeover. Love it!!!! I'm coming back often for more inspiration. Going to click your "Follow" button. Please visit and do the same if you like what you see.

    ReplyDelete
  5. I just love the dresser you painted, so clever and created, wow you are just so talented, it looks so chic and I also love the boa lamp

    ReplyDelete
  6. Very pretty! I love what you did to the dresser. Great job!

    ReplyDelete
  7. That looks absolutely amazing! I've tried making my own stencil before, and I also ended up having to hand paint it. I'm not sure what the trick is. But your hard work definitely paid off!!

    ReplyDelete
  8. wow, love the stencil! that took dedication :)

    ReplyDelete
  9. Yes - the darn stencil took me over an hour to cut out. In the end I ended up hand painting it in. Lesson learned - with a complicated design you are better off drawing onto the object being painted and hand paint in with steady hand OR buy a ready made stencil!

    ReplyDelete
  10. wow! that looks completely different from the original! great job!

    ReplyDelete
  11. I love it! You did a great job with that stencil/hand painted damask design. I see she has my favorite colors going on in her room ~ love them!

    ReplyDelete
  12. Looks great! What a great way to use the stencil- covering all the drawers and not just one- awesome.

    ReplyDelete
  13. The stencil and fluffy lamp shade make this piece! It is very chic and fun for a teenager.

    ReplyDelete
  14. You simply cannot go wrong with black and white damask, in my humble opinion. ;) So cute! Great job!

    ReplyDelete
  15. That's a fabulous makeover. Black and white damask is so classic yet fun for a teen too. She's a lucky girl.

    ReplyDelete

Let's chat...